Some time ago Kristina had made some small granny squares in several different colors, I think for a blanket or something. After generating all those squares she realized she did not have the time to spend in crocheting or sewing the squares together (this is an intense part of any granny square item) so brought the squares over and plunked them down in the craft room where they sat for a couple months. We did take some of the squares apart and use the yarn for other projects and I kept thinking I would use the remainder for this, that or the other. Then the other day when we did an inventory, those squares came up again and I decided to finally use them. But for what?
I decided I wanted to do something a bit different than the usual big square so looked thru some patterns, doodled on some paper and then finally just picked the squares up and thought, thought, thought (yeah, Blue’s Clue’s reference for those in the know lol). I came to the conclusion I would have to design my own squares for each blanket which helped me realize that I did not want to use the traditional baby colors for my baby Afghans! This is going to be a fun challenge!
When I hit the store to buy some yarn to go with the squares, I knew I wanted at least one yarn per blanket that was variegated. (Some people don’t like variegated yarn but I love it!) I had green, yellow, purple, pink and blue squares. What to do?
For the green I decided that I had to use this soft camo yarn by Bernat. Sometimes acrylic yarn can be rough but this was very soft. With that discovery I looked into the rest of the Bernat variegated and picked out Wildflower to go with the yellow and Luxury Ombre for the blue. For the pink I already had a pink/white/blue variegated yarn from somewhere that I planned to use. For the purple, I just could not decide so we will have to see what I do! I also purchased some other color yarns to coordinate with the original square and the variegated yarn and headed home.
I further decided to not stick with the typical granny afghan pattern, so made it up as I went along. Wildflower I made a rectangle granny for the center, I used a few new stitches in the camo and I love the stained glass effect on the princess afghan. I had a great time experimenting!
Hope you have fun with your grannies today!
Thanks for reading, Millie