Last time I made a bed for Layla using Bob's old quilt. Granddaughter Rami kindly donated a blanket she no longer needed so we used that to make two beds for the shelter.
First we cut the blanket in half and cut 2 pieces of batting a bit smaller.
We made a layer sandwich with the cloth folded in half on the bottom and the batting on top. Rami's blanket was the same front and back so we didn't have to worry about which side was which but if you use a cloth with a right and wrong side you would put the two right sides together if sewing this way.
Next we carefully sewed a nice zig zag stitch around 2 and a half sides. (What? We are using a folded blanket so didn't need to sew one side). We started at one edge of the fold on the short side, sewed up it, across the long side and sewed half the short side. We trimmed the edges and then -
FLIP! We flipped it inside out, now the padding is in the middle and the blanket on the outside. Fold in and sew up the opening and done!
Oh forgot, almost done. Next to quilt. We originally bought a bunch of cloth scraps from the local Scrap Exchange in the interest of making quilts. We found we are not very good at it, so are using the cloth for other stuff. So as you can see, I tried a simple square pattern for the quilting here. Not so pretty but hopefully the dogs won't mind!!
Please support your local shelter! If you don't know if you have one google it!!